Recording Journals: The Making of the No Schedule Man CD

Recording Journal Vol. 44: “Deadline”

By May 13, 2010No Comments

Greetings! This is Kevin Bulmer, coming to you LIVE from inside a sea of post-it notes, mock-up merchandise designs, doodles, lists and other plans! And I’m here to ask you: will I ever reach this goal? Are you still with me? Are we still on track? Does anyone still care?


I care.

I’m starting to feel like the boy who cried wolf. I’ve been writing this journal for almost a year. It’s like a movie that never ends. Like Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (which, I believe, it still going on at a theatre near you). Or maybe it’s just because we are getting near the conclusion of this chapter and I’m not sure how to deal with it.

As we near the release of our CD, I’ve been relegated to some behind-the-scenes work while I give KG some space to edit, fix some piano stuff and put some spit and polish to the songs. When our regular Tuesday night studio session came around, he texted me to tell me to, “Take the night off – I’ll have some stuff for you to listen to on Friday.” I told him, “Okay, but we’re cutting it pretty close!” He responded: “I have a plan.”

I love it when a plan comes together.

Still, it’s hard not to be right in there beside him. I’ll hear what he’s done tomorrow. Hopefully we’re close, because we are inside a month of release and we still have to send the master disc off to the duplication house, print the artwork/CD inserts, buy the jewel cases and – oh yeah – rehearse!

People are starting to try and give me money for tickets to the CD release show. I suppose I should take it. But it’s almost as if I’ve programmed myself to think that this event is so far off in the distance that, now that I know it’s getting close, I don’t know how to react. Oh well. I have faith in myself. I’ll get it figured out and when the time comes, we’ll be ready.

While KG toils in the studio, I’ve been working on a variety of things, including some merchandise designs and even the construction of the “No Schedule Man Trading Co.” display for our live shows. Wait’ll you see it! I’d describe it to you except I have no idea how it’s going to look. But there again, I have faith. We’ll get it done. Somehow.

I also took my first shot at a “video blog” this week. I think you’ll agree that George Lucas is shaking in his boots (if in fact he wears boots).

Meantime, if you read last week’s journal, you know that I have been suffering through what I have diagnosed as a pinched sciatic nerve. (Yes, I diagnosed it. Why? The doctor told me to go get massage therapy. Which I did. Twice. And then the therapist told me to go to the doctor. Sheesh.)

So Tiger Woods and I are now brothers in joint inflammation and lousy golf swings. Also, neither of us currently have a swing coach.

But I digress.

Basically, the situation is this: I’m going on two weeks whereby I feel that I’ll soon need to get a walker and start referring to people as “sonny.” It’s miserable, unless I’m under the influence of the miracle that is ibuprofen. I’m not proud of it, but right now that seems to be the only thing that helps. Which tells me I’ve got some inflammation. Will it ever go away?

Tune in next week and find out!

In other news, this past weekend I made my annual pilgrimage up to Thunder Beach (on Georgian Bay) to help my mom open up the family cottage. It’s not as easy as it sounds, especially when you can’t even get in or out of your own car without significant pain. But we got the job done and I got some quality time with my mom on Mother’s Day. Lucky kid.

Today I was not so lucky. Months ago I purchased a ticket to see the Detroit Tigers play the New York Yankees at Comerica Park in a game scheduled for this afternoon. It turned out to be a miserable day. All forecasts were for rain (ranging from 90% to 100% chance) so my pal Ken and I decided not to go. Well, darned if they didn’t get the game in. Tigers 6 Yankees 0. So I feel like a buffoon.

At least I’m used to the feeling.

Tomorrow night I am back at Delaware Speedway. And then I have the first Saturday/Sunday combo since I can remember where I have absolutely no plans. I believe Tracey is even taking the boys out for a few hours on Saturday. She asked me earlier tonight what I am going to do with my “quiet time.”

It’s a good bet I’ll be right here at my desk, working to beat our deadline.

– Kevin

Leave a Reply