Are you with a local car dealership? Try this Star Wars Test.
This is meant to be a fun and helpful example. We don’t mean to be disrespectful in any way. It’s meant to help those in the local car dealership industry understand how so many of your ads are viewed by busy people out in the community.
Here’s the Star Wars Test: If I can take the model name of the vehicle you’re advertising and swap it out for the name of a Star Wars droid (robot) without losing any other context of what you’re trying to communicate, then you’re your message is not connecting with people. You’re burying yourself in industry jargon that other people don’t understand.
“Come on in and test drive the all new C3PO!”
“Check out their great lease rates on 2020 model R2D2!”:
“You’ll love the award-winning design and the innovative engineering of the all-new BB-8!”
Whatever the model name of the vehicle is, I know that you know what it is. I know the other people in your industry know what it is. And maybe even the people who have interacted with your store or your brand in general might have some context. But the rest of us have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.
We’re busy. We’ve got busy lives and our attention spans are short. So when you mention just the model name, you may as well just call it the “IG-88.” Whatever you want to call it doesn’t really matter because we don’t know what it is!
What Is It?
Is it car? Is it a truck? An SUV?
Is it fast? Does it look cool? Is it safe?
Does it have four doors or two? How many people does it seat?
What lifestyle does it suit best?
Never mind exactly what something is. Tell us what it does and how it’s going to help us and enhance our experience or solve some of our problems. Have fun with it!
And may the force be with you.
Want help crafting a more effective social media strategy?
Join our online coaching and collaboration service, My REAL Success Pass. You’ll get to participate in regular live calls with Kevin and access hours of previously recorded coaching sessions to help you with this kind of thing, including:
- Find More Ideal Clients – Four Simple Steps To Making More Sales
- Get To The Point! The 4 Elements of an Irresistible Offer
- Great Videos Made Easy, Pt. 1 – Three Pro Tips & No App Required
- Great Videos Made Easy, Pt. 2 – The Story Formula
- How To Create 5 Kinds of Online Content With 1 Conversation
- Five Tips For Creating Social Media Posts | What Do I Say? Vol. 1
- Five Questions For Creating Great Content – What Do I Say? Vol. 2
- Make Your Ads More Effective – What Do I Say? Vol. 3
- Tell Us WHY! – What Do I Say? Vol. 4
- Three Keys To Creating a Magnetic Brand Identity
- Which Social Media Channels Should You Use?